Queen Camilla shared an off-the-cuff update on King Charles III’s health one day after Buckingham Palace announced Wednesday that the monarch will be admitted to the hospital next week to undergo treatment for an enlarged prostate. The condition is benign, the palace shared.
On Thursday morning, Camilla, 76, arrived at the Aberdeen Art Gallery in Aberdeen, Scotland for a previously scheduled public engagement opening a “safe space” for domestic abuse survivors at the gallery. In a video of the queen’s arrival shared on Twitter, Camilla apologized for running behind before sharing a brief update on the king.
“Good morning, it was quite a frosty journey,” she said. “Sorry, we’re a bit late, I’m afraid.” Asked how Charles is, she replied, “He’s fine, thank you very much. Looking forward to getting back to work.”
This was Camilla’s first public engagement since Charles’ health news was revealed.
On Wednesday, Kensington Palace also delivered a surprising update about another senior royal, shortly before Buckingham Palace’s statement about Charles: Kate Middleton, Princess of Wales, underwent a “planned abdominal surgery” Tuesday for unspecified reasons. Middleton will remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days, Kensington said, and be absent from public engagements likely until Easter while she recovers. Prince William is also expected to pull back from his own royal duties to support Middleton and spend time with their three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis.
Middleton’s surgery was successful and her condition is “non-cancerous,” a palace source confirmed to Vanity Fair.
Buckingham released a statement about Charles’ health in part because some of his own travel and meetings will have to be rearranged to fit in the procedure and recovery, sources said. Additionally, according to a source, “His Majesty was keen to share the details of his diagnosis to encourage other men who may be experiencing symptoms to get checked in line with public health advice.”